This week on YouTube, and here on the blog, we have a super laid-back, super fun game to play. We are here to share 15 book recommendations based on Christian songs and hymns!
This is an original Christian reading tag that I have created, basically because I thought it was a super fun idea, and it means I get to talk about both worship songs AND books.
If you’d like to watch my version of this tag, you can find the video here:
If you’re looking to do this tag yourself or want to find the songs & books I mentioned, just keep reading to find them all!
*Ad Disclosure: Some of the links in this description are affiliate links. If you shop after using these links, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our little penguin ministry!
(a song that reminds me of childhood)
A book that reminds me of childhood:
- Polly’s March by Linda Newbery, a middle grade book exploring the suffrage movement. This book got me interested in history!
- The Ingo Series by Helen Dunmore, a young adult series about a brother and a sister who meet mermaids.
(a beautiful song, or a song with the word beautiful in it)
A book with a beautiful cover:
- The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, & And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende, a historical fiction about a man and a woman fleeing the Spanish Civil War to Chile.
(a really popular song or one that you would share with everyone) and check out this version, The UK Blessing which I love!
A book you would gift to everyone:
- Digging for Diamonds by Cathy Madavan, a Christian Non-fiction book exploring our identity and what the Bible says about who we are.
- Before the Coffee gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, a book translated from Japanese about a coffee shop where you can travel in time.
(a song about God being a father)
A book with great family dynamics:
- Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks, a book about a couple splitting up but also about the mans relationship with his daughter, parents & sister which are really great to read.
(a song you discovered at an event/conference)
A book you bought at a conference:
- Digging for Diamonds by Cathy Madavan – I’ve already mentioned!
- Know Your Why by Ken Costa, a Christian Non-fiction book about recognising your calling and living it out, whatever that looks like.
(a song from an artist that you love all of their music)
An auto-buy author:
- Linwood Barclay, an author who writes really easy to read mystery/thrillers with great twists and turns. Some I’ve enjoyed are: Broken Promise, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye.
- Diane Chamberlain is becoming an auto-buy author, but I’d probably try and grab her books from the library first as I’m not 100% sure yet. She writes a mixture of Contemporary mystery books, and romances from what I’ve seen. Some I’ve enjoyed are: Before the Storm, and Secrets She Left Behind.
(a song about Jesus)
A book that points us towards Jesus:
(a song involving animals)
A book with great animal characters or sidekicks:
- The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michel, a Non-fiction real life story about a man who rescues a penguin from an oil spill and smuggles him back to his boarding school in Argentina.
(a song with a very high number in it)
A book that you could read over and over again:
- Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain, a contemporary about a teenage boy with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder who becomes the main suspect in an arson.
(a song full of hope)
A book that gives you hope:
- Born Survivors by Wendy Holden, a Non-Fiction account of three women who arrived at Auschwitz in 1944, pregnant. This follows them as they hide their pregnancies and give birth to their children in a story of defiance and survival against the odds.
(a song that is a new version of an old hymn)
- Long Way Gone by Charles Martin, a Christian contemporary re-telling of the prodigal of the lost son from the Bible.
(a song that involves taking action/serving the world)
A book that makes you care, or inspires you to take action to help others:
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, a historical fiction following a young boy growing up in Afghanistan before leaving for America & his eventual return many years later.
- Home for Good by Krish Kandiah, a Christian Non-Fiction book about adoption and fostering, and the churches place in these ministries.
(a song about faith)
A book that strengthens your faith:
- God on Mute by Pete Greig, a Christian Non-Fiction book exploring unanswered prayer!
(a sad song, or a song that makes you cry!)
A book that made you cry:
- Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks – I’ve already mentioned.
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, a historical fiction set in WWII Germany following a young girl who discovers a love of books. This is narrated by death which I really enjoyed!
(a joyful worship song)
A book that brings you joy:
- The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter, European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman, and The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerising Girl, by Theodora Goss – a historical, mystery, fantasy series following the daughters of famous scientists from gothic literature. This has my favourite found family relationships!
The people that I have tagged in this tag are:
- Tuesdae from The Craftea Cottage
- Chantel at An Intentional Life
- Oceana Gottareademall
- …and anyone else who wants to do it!
Do let me know and tag me if you try this tag on your blog or YouTube channel, I’d love to see your book recommendations too!