When we pray, it can be easy to get caught up in asking God for all the things we want and need and forget that we should also be thanking God in our prayers. These other prayers are so important, and there are so many things in the world that need and deserve our prayers. However, thanking God is also an incredibly important element of our prayer life.
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
We are called to give thanks to God, regardless of the circumstances we find ourselves in. Even when it feels like we have nothing to thank him for, when we think about it we know this simply isn’t true.
“Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”James 1:16-17
As James reminds us, every good thing that we have has been given to us by God. Therefore, every good thing we have is a reason to thank him. It can be easy to forget this, and to think that we have some of these good things because of our own achievements and actions. But in reality, all these things are thanks to God. This is why it is so important to remember to be thanking God in our prayers.
To help you get started, here are four of our favourite creative prayer ideas for thanking God!
You will need: Paper, tape, straw.
- Think of all the things that you want to say thank you to God for. Write or draw these things onto your piece of paper.
- Wrap your piece of paper tightly around one end of the straw, then fix this with tape (tape paper to paper, not paper to straw).
- Fold over the top of your piece of paper and tape this in place.
- Blow into the end of your straw and watch your rocket fly across the room! As you do this, imagine that you are blowing all the prayers of thanks, that you wrote or drew earlier, to God.
Thank You Cards
You will need: Card, things to decorate with (tissue paper, coloured pens/pencils, paint – as messy as you like!), a pen.
- Fold your piece of card in half to create an A5 card.
- Decorate the front of your card, feel free to get as creative as you possibly can!
- Write your thank you message to God inside – you could do this as a list of everything you want to thank God for or write it as if you were sending the card to God.
You will need: A balloon, a whiteboard pen.
- Think about all the things that you want to thank God for.
- Blow up a balloon. As you do this, imagine that you are blowing all of those prayers of thanksgiving into the balloon.
- Write some of the things you are thanking God for onto the balloon to remind you of those prayers.
Ice Lolly Prayers
You will need: An Ice-Lolly mould, a variety of drinks in different colours, a freezer.
- Find an ice lolly mould and pour in your first drink. As you do this, think of something that you want to thank God for that this layer will represent.
- Pop your mould in the freezer.
- When the first layer has frozen, add your second layer of a different drink. The bigger difference between the colours, the more you will be able to see the stripes. Again, whilst you are doing this, think of another thing that you want to thank God for.
- Repeat this step until your mould is full. Make sure you remember what thing each layer represents.
- Wait until the ice lolly is completely frozen.
- Eat your ice lolly! As you eat each layer of the ice lolly, pray and thank God for the things that each layer represented.
What are you thanking God for today?