As someone who works for a music charity, I spend a lot of my time talking, and writing, about the importance of music. Music can have a profound impact upon our physical and mental wellbeing, reducing our perception of pain, relieving stress and anxiety, and improving our quality of sleep.
In the current world we are living in, where we separated from so many of our normal activities, I think music is more important than ever. In fact, I think that there are three key roles that music can play in our lives right now: Lifting us up, calming us down, and focusing us upon God.
So, let’s put together a playlist of music that does just that! To get us started, here is a playlist I have put together that is made up of songs that fulfill the three roles above. Obviously, there is some crossover between categories but I have split the songs into these three roles to make sure we have a good mix of songs.
But this is just the beginning. I want this playlist to grow – so let me know your song suggestions in the comments (and whether they lift you up, calm you down, or focus you upon God) and I will add them to the playlist!
You can find the full playlist on Spotify here!
Songs to lift you up
- Dream Small – Josh Wilson
- You will be found – Dear Evan Hansen
- Alive & Breathing – Matt Maher
- Psalm 100 – Chris Tomlin
- Battle Cry – Kyler England
- Happy Day – Tim Hughes
- The Sun is Rising – Britt Nicole
- Let it be Known – Worship Central
- Every Giant Will Fall – Rend Collective
Songs to calm you down
- Journey On – Elms District
- Hand to Hold – JJ Heller
- You Matter to Me – Waitress
- Shepherd – CityAlight
- Don’t say goodbye – Peter Pan
- Weep with me – Rend Collective
- Tell me if you wanna go home – Begin Again
- Broken Vessels – Hillsong
- You’ve got a friend – James Taylor
Songs to focus you upon God
- Well Done – The Afters
- Confidence – Sanctus Real
- Oceans – Hillsong
- Unbroken Praise – Matt Redman
- Ancient of Days – CityAlight
- Brokenness Aside – All Sons & Daughters
- Because he lives – Matt Maher
- Way Maker – Martay
- Living Hope – Phil Wickham
What other songs should we add to this playlist for the Coronavirus pandemic?