On Wednesday 14th June, the United Kingdom awoke to yet another tragedy in its capital. This time a horrific fire, engulfing Grenfell Tower, a 24-storey tower block in north Kensington. At this time, 79 people are believed to have died. (www.bbc.co.uk/news)
Following these tragic events, we often feel helpless. What can we possibly do to make things better in this situation? Collection centres were flooded with donations of money, food, clothing for those who had been left with nothing. But what else can we do? All we can do it turn to God, place this situation into his hands, through prayer.
But where do we even begin? Here are several of the things that I have been praying about over the past few days.
- For the families who have lost loved ones. 79 people are believed to have been killed in the blaze, each one of these had a family, friends, people that loved them. I pray that God will be with them as they grieve, come to terms with their loss and prepare for the funerals.
- For the Fire and Rescue services. It took 24 hours for the fire to be brought under control. During this time, firemen and women worked tirelessly to battle the flames, risking their lives to help others. In total, 65 people were rescued from Grenfell Tower thanks to the incredible work of these brave people. I thank you God, for each one of these people. For their love, dedication and commitment in the face of great danger. I pray that these people will be protected in all their work, both physically and emotionally. That they may be spared any guilt surrounding those that they were not able to save, finding comfort in the knowledge that they did everything they could do.
- For those recovering in hospital. I pray for healing. Healing for their physical injuries, but also healing in light of the huge emotional trauma they have experienced.
- For those who don’t know. I pray for all those who do not yet know If their loved ones have been killed in the fire, those still waiting. I also pray for all those who have lost everything, that you God may provide them with stability, security and comfort. I thank you for the enormous generosity of people across the country donating food, money and clothes to these people. May they reach the people who need them the most.
- For honesty across the media. I pray that all media platforms will provide accurate, fair information following this incident. That people will hear and understand the truth and that rumours and mis-informed reports will not be allowed to spread.
- For protection. I pray that lessons will be learnt from this horrific event, that vital smoke alarms and sprinkler systems will be fitted and may prevent a repeat of this tragedy. I also praying for your protective hand over this city, this country, this world.
These are the prayers that I have focused upon this week. If you feel that you do not know where to start praying within such a horrific event, I do hope that these prayers may help you to begin. This is a situation which desperately needs Gods love and protection, and I pray that this is exactly what it will receive.